Monday, January 28, 2008

A rose by any other name...

(would still smell as sweet. It’s a Shakespeare line. Romeo and Juliet.)

Naming a blog is hard stuff. I had a name already picked out, that I may still use eventually, but I didn’t necessarily want this blog to be about just what that name implied. (I am not going to say it so someone else can’t steal it. It’s awesome though.) So it was really hard for me to find a name that I liked and that really fit me. This one was hard to come by. I kept coming back to “anxiously” but it took me a while to figure out what I was anxiously doing, other than waiting for the right time to have children. I even tried looking up the meaning of my real name and trying to change that into something, but I didn’t think it was proper to use the Lord’s name without a reason, even if it is in the meaning of my name. (Anne means grace of G__, by the way.)
On another note, I was searching for a sample letter for my company to send out about name changes. And I stumbled upon an article about corporate namers. Apparently, there is a HUGE industry out there that is all about naming corporations. http://www.salon.com/media/col/shal/1999/11/30/naming/print.html
Basically, this article talked about how dumb corporate namers are and how stupid and useless the names they come up with are. I thought it was just me thinking that names were getting dumber. No more do we have Joe’s Diner. We have Joe’s crab Shack, or in a few years, Joe’s Crabby Hut, and so on and so on. I am reminded of a scene from Idiocracy. If you haven’t seen this movie, go rent it. It is 1) hilarious and 2) very scary about what life could be like. (Disclaimer: the language is a little iffy in places.) Over the course of 500 years, the restaurant name “Fuddruckers” mutates and becomes not a very good phrase that rhymes with Fuddruckers. (starts with a b if you cant figure it out). Anyway, this is a family place, and they show kids eating there like they might at McDonalds today and no one realizes the meaning or offense of the name. It seems we are headed there with corporate names already. Of course, my current company has an awesome name. Too bad most people can’t pronounce it or spell it correctly. When I start a company, it will be simple and will convey real meaning.

No comments: