Curried Coconut Chicken. When I use allrecipes, I make sure to read a good number of comments. After reading through a lot of them, this is the resulting recipe. I put it in the crock pot because I have two babies. I can barely manage to make a regular dinner, let alone one that requires an hour or more of cooking and watching.
So here we go.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (since I crock-pot, I don't bother to cut. The whole breasts break up just fine after cooking all day.)
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (yes, really, use this much.)
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed, diced tomatoes (you can drain if the sauce is too wet)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
2) Heat oil and curry powder in large skillet or sauce pan over low heat for 5 minutes. (Turn on your vent fan.)
3) Add the onion and cook for another 8-10 minutes. You can turn the heat up a bit with the onions.
4) Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
5) Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
6) Stir in the coconut milk and sugar. Pour mixture over the chicken.
7) cook on high for one hour and then low until ready to serve. Since I never remember to defrost my chicken, I always boost it to high for an hour first. It seems to cook better that way. If you are leaving the house, you can just put it on low and it should be fine.
8) Optional- reduce the sauce in a pan on the stove before serving. I only do this if the chicken gave off too much liquid and the sauce is runny. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it isn't.
Delicious served with rice or noodles. I usually make some broccoli or cauliflower as a side as those seem to go well too.