Thursday, January 24, 2008

Background

Just an FYI, this will for now be mostly about my debt, my finances, and how I sleep (or don't sleep) at night. It probably won't be fun. If you want fun, go see Alann's blog. It even has a picture of the devil cat on it. (okay, she isn't really the devil, but sometimes I think she might be harboring a very small, unimportant devil that is very unhappy about it, and incidentally hates plant life. RIP banana plant, bonsai, cacti, and wedding plant.)
I became very much aware of my and my husband's debt in fall of 2006. We bought a house. OR rather, I bought a house. He got left off because of his credit score and debt to income ratio. Rather than take this as a sign that we should not get a house, we bought on my income alone. Which is fine. I go back and forth about whether the house was a smart investment or not. We don't have any "creative" financing, the likes of which have smashed through the mortgage industry, but my paycheck pretty much covered the mortgage from Sept 06 to July 07 (at which point I got a raise.) That isn't very smart if you ask most people. Why would I buy a house if 80% of my income goes to pay for said house every month? That's obviously STUPID right? Well, we just didn't want to rent. And honestly, with 2 dogs, one of which is a beast (100+ pounds), finding a place to rent that would be accommodating was rather daunting. Most places allow pets up to 30 pounds, 50 if you are really lucky. So renting was out, just from that standpoint. Plus we didn't want to spend money "for nothing."...

2 comments:

Alann said...

Pink? Well actually i'd say it looks nice and suits you

Djs9pd said...

I too am starting to feel the financial squeeze after leaving my safety blanket called college. Sal and I are already starting to experience the newly wed budget crisis. We are falling about $250 short of what we need per month, and I've been unable to find a job. (Turns out SC has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country) We would like to get a house someday, but we don't have a 100+lb beast (unless you include me) so renting is the way to go. (Although I hate paying for something I don't get to keep.) Anyway, I look forward to throwing financial and insomniatic (Sal doesn't get off till 1 in the morning, which means we don't sleep till 3) problems back and forth.