Friday, June 12, 2009

Week one of cleaning experiment

So week one of my cleaning experiment is almost at a close. Let's see how I did.
Monday, I got all my chores done. Tuesday, I did pretty good too. Wednesday fell apart. I was supposed to clean the kitchen and mop the floors. I did not. In my defense, I was out most of the day. Thursday, I was supposed to clean the bathrooms (check), do the laundry (check), and pick up the house. I didn't get the house picked up. I got some of it picked up, and I ran a load of dishes, so I was somewhat productive. Today I need to vacuum, sweep, clean the kitchen, and wash diapers. (I have clean the kitchen listed three times a week. And no, it is not excessive. I don't like doing dishes right after dinner, so they wait a bit.) I'm really hoping to do that, and get the house picked up, and mopped, so that I can say I did all my chores for the week.
In a way, it's kind of depressing to have my life laid out, and to know that every week I will be cleaning the bathroom. I haven't had this rigid of a chore schedule since I lived with my dad (when I was 10). But, it's also kind of freeing. Like when I cleaned the bathroom, I scrubbed the tub. And some of the stuff in the tub didn't want to come all the way off. But, since I know that I will be cleaning the tub again next week, I'm not too worried about it. It makes me feel a little better. I think I need to start giving myself a gold star when I finish my chores or something. Well, no, I would prefer a real reward, like take the day off. Of course, I have NO chores listed for Saturday or Sunday, so hopefully, those will be relatively stress-free days.

Side note: I just discovered the keyboard tray on my desk slides out farther than I thought. Sweet!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the house looks great. Maybe we should make you a chart and every time you meet your goals for the day you get a smiley face. Then if you get a smiley everyday you get a gold star for the week and if you get a gold star every week we go out to a nice dinner.;)
Love ya -alann

Becca said...

smart alec

MomKAS said...

I think "smart alann" has a great idea! Glad to hear the experiment is working out. It may not be terribly fun to have a chore schedule, but it is satisfying, isn't it?

Shannon said...

It is kind of depressing sometimes to finish a job just to know that it will be dirty again and you will be cleaning it again in a week. I still like the feeling of having a clean, tidy house. I'm so proud of you for sticking with it. Don't worry about missing some things. As a mom you have to be flexible. Some days I plan on getting so much done, but don't do hardly anything and I just make up for it another day. The Aha! is that your real job is the kid, so if playing with her takes priority sometimes then that's a good thing. :)

MomKAS said...

Shannon's right. Sometimes you just have to follow the wisdom of:

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow

But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.