Monday, August 10, 2009

6 month checkup!

Claire will be 6 months old in just two days. My how time flies. Seems like just yesterday I was telling people I was pregnant. We had a great checkup at our doctor's office today. Claire measured 17 pounds, 4 ounces, which puts her in the 75% for weight. I was starting to get a little concerned about her weight, but am at peace now. I know I know, I shouldn't worry about baby chub at all, but she seemed to grow like a weed the second I started feeding her cereal. Of course, most of that growth was in height. She is at 27 1/4"- 95%! I knew a new car seat was on our horizon, I just didn't realize how close it was. Time to figure out what I want I guess. She is so close to outgrowing it- 29" is the limit. At least this measurement confirms my idea that I need to concentrate on car seats with a very tall limit. Her head is measuring at 42.8 cm, in the 65%. Claire did NOT want the nurse to measure her head. She kept moving around and trying to shake the tape off. It was funny. So who knows if this is a good number or not. Her head looks the right size for her body, that is all I care about.
Otherwise, we were given the all clear to start "real" food. She has started wanting more food anyway, so I am glad we can start some new varieties. I'm looking forward to it. I know she is. The doctor and nurse were also impressed with how well Claire sits. She sits by herself pretty confidently. If she falls over, it's usually because she is reaching for a toy, not because she loses her balance like when she was younger. The doctor was also impressed that Claire is trying to crawl. She said the average age is 9 months, so 6 months is ahead of the curve. Why do I have a feeling Claire will ALWAYS be ahead of the curve? (Oh right, because her mother is a genius. I forgot.)
In other baby news, she has started reaching for things. When she wants something that she sees but can't reach, she has started grabbing for it in the air. Almost like she is doing the "one hand clap" or something. It's darling. She also has started reaching for people, which is of course super cute. She isn't a cuddler, so we take every chance we can to snuggle her. She still has no teeth, but seems to be working on them more and more often- chewing on her lip, drooling everywhere, chewing on EVERYTHING!! All in all, she is the bestest baby ever and we love her to pieces. I'd post some pics, but I don't have any new ones really.

No comments: